What is the best way to get a cat to walk on a leash?
I know, I know, it sounds really stupid and is NO way to pick up women. Somehow, a cat on a leash is approximately 437% less sexy than say, a Dachund on a leash.
One of my cats is a fat, lazy, lard ball…no really, this cat is LOW ENERGY. She calculates the amount of energy it takes to jump up on the counter and then subtracts 10%…this causes her to miss pathetically (She actually does algebra in her head).
Regardless…she is my girl and I love her to death. I am worried she is going to get diabetes or sick (she needs to lose at least 5 lbs to be more healthy). I want to walk her around the hallway in my complex. Usually, the halls are empty, but sometimes dogs go by and I want some control so she doesn’t bolt. Is there a way to do this? I’ve tried it before and it’s pretty sad. One fat, tortoise shell, American Shorthair attached to a leash, sitting and crying loud enough to wake the dead. Any ideas?
I only feed her Weight Control Iams…that is all she has ever eaten. She is a pig, the dominant woman in the house, so she tries to get the other cat’s food. I wish they would stick up for themselves, but they just get out of the way when she barrels through leaving a trail of crumbs.
I have been locking her in the bathroom during meal time (which she doesn’t seem to mind because she purrs and snorts when she eats (this is absolutely revolting…in a cute way, of course)). I have a small place, so it is the only way I can seperate her from the others…Thank you for all the suggestions…I really need to get her lose weight…I want to keep her as long as possible. She is 8 now so I figure I have another 8-9 years if I can keep her healthy…
Answer by tcbtoday123
the problem with cats is that they own you, you don’t own them. It’s like teaching a pig to sing, he won’t do it and will only get annoyed. try a high end pet shop where they have toys like mice that run on batteries, etc. Good luck on this one.
Answer by Awakening Spirit
With cats you need a harness, they can wiggle out of a collar/leash.
Make sure it’s not too tight, you should be able to put a finger between the cat and the harness.
Start out by introducing the leash/harness beforehand, place it by their dish or sleeping area for a bit. Then put the harness on without the leash a couple of times. Then add the leash but don’t expect her to walk.
Eventually after getting her used to the idea and feel of it, you can try getting her to walk with you , but some cats never will no matter how well and gently you try to teach them.
So here is the answer I always give – talk to your vet 🙂
Answer by peaches
The awsome cat, the cat in a hat, the cat, the animal I love the most. So independent, so self-sufficient, and OH so subborn! Try this my dear, buy a “cat halter”, you will need to measure her, so you get the correct size. She will Not Like it at first, be slow and try and “trick” her!(good luck).. slip it on and have some of her “special” treat(s) handy, just in case she get “p****d” at you. It will take a while to train her, but it is possible. You will find it really convenient as she gets better and better on the lease. You can take her in the car, and go to the beach, go for walks,she will look forward to being on the leash if you make it interesting for her. One other suggestion, change her food, or limit her food. She is just eating out of boardom! If she eats dry food, and I hope thats what you are feeding her. Wet food is Not Good! Try Iams cat food, get a small bag, to start with. Look for the “diet” one and start her on it soon. The number one cause of death early in a cat, is obesity which causes the liver and kidneys to shut down. Terrible death, and in most cases you have to put your pet to sleep. It is the only humane thing to do. So check that your not giving your little love a cat food that is high in “ash” – and buy the “halter” and go for it. Give her a “kiss” from me and the two of you – have a very Merry Christmas. Here’s a Christmas present for you: go to iVillage.com and for free you can get their newsletter(s), and horoscopes for “cats” and “dogs”. If you know the birth of your cat, it is really “cute” and they tell you the mood your cat will be in that day! LOL
Answer by p_dikova
you shouldn’t stop her food or even dicrese the amaunt,just find food which is small compozition of kalorise,
Answer by ♪♫ Seattle ♫♪
Hi there again…here’s a well written article to show you the steps on how to train a cat to walk on a leash. Any cat at any age can learn, however it’s always important to remember to go slowly at a cat’s own pace to keep it fun for them: http://cats.about.com/cs/behavioralissues/ht/leashtrain.htm
1) Purchase a comfortably-fitting harness and lightweight leash with a secure clip. Do not use a collar, as the cat may be able to slip out of it. You want the leash to pull from the chest rather than the throat. The cats’ Walking Jacket is a fine alternative to a harness, virtually escape free, and with the leash attached mid-back, for comfort.
2) Put the harness and leash somewhere near kitty’s sleeping area and leave it there for several days to accustom him to it’s appearance and smell.
3) Wait until just before his normal mealtime, then put the harness on the cat. You should be able to comfortably slip two fingers between the harness and his skin.
4) Immediately feed him his favorite meal and praise him when he is finished.
5) Let him wear the harness for awhile. If it seems to bother him, distract him by playing with a favorite toy.
6) When your cats seems to be accustomed to the harness, take it off.
7) Repeat steps 3 through 6 for several days, leaving the harness on longer each time.
8) Next, attach the leash to the harness and let kitty walk around the house, dragging the leash. Watch him carefully that he doesn’t get tangled up around furniture.
9) Praise him for being such a good cat, and give him some loving hugs.
10) Repeat steps 8 and 9 for a few days, until the cat seems to accept the harness and leash.
11) Now, let him walk around as usual, but pick up the business end of the leash and follow him in his wanderings. Keep the tension slack, so as not to restrict his movement.
12) Practice step 11 for a few days.
13) Teach kitty to follow you by talking to him in a cajoling manner and lightly pulling on the lead. Don’t fight him. Leash-training should be a pleasurable experience for the cat, not an adversarial one. On the other hand, if he tugs at the leash, simply stop until he relaxes, then move on.
14) You’re ready to move outdoors now. Do it gradually, and take your first short excursions in your own back yard, or in a quiet area.
15) Gradually increase his exposure to the sights, sounds and smells of the outdoors. Soon, the two of you will be able to enter walkathons together.
Patience, patience, patience. Stay tune to your cat’s reactions and let him guide you at his own pace. Don’t let this training become a battle of the wills, because you will surely lose.
If you have more than one cat, it may actually be easier to train the second one, because she will want to follow the first.
 please see if my answer regarding proper weight loss techniques can also help you here in addition to exercise (sorry, the answer is long): http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ak07f8WWL5rOxwNN4ZpfK0fsy6IX?qid=20061216050629AAWg2YK&show=7#profile-info-bd578d324c1f1fd9cb6a19ad30b26d11aa
Give your answer to this question below!
Do you actually believe that objects in space control your destiny?
You don’t really believe that do you? Do you realize that most horoscopes are so vague and generic that they can apply to almost anyone?
In my college class, our professor gave us all horoscopes that he said were specifically designed for each of us. He told us to make sure no one sees it until the next week. Then when the next week rolled by, he asked people who thought their horoscope was accurate to raise their hands. Around 95% raised their hand. Then he asked everyone to share their results with each other and we found out we were given the exact same horoscope.
Answer by sunflower
i always keep an open mind…
Answer by Paulina
Maybe he gave you the pisces horoscope jejeje
Answer by Ree ♎
But don’t most people put their hand up because they see everyone else is? Lol that’s what I would’ve done if I felt like I’d be the only one with my hand down, I probably wouldn’t have even looked into the horoscope lol
Answer by Endora Sweet as Pisces
wow, you took a class in college huh. that’s pretty impressive. you must know everything.
Answer by RR
Thor? How’s your hammer?
I don’t really care what others think of what I believe. I don’t read horoscopes but I know the difference between sun signs and a complete chart. I’ve read about professors doing such tests. If you ask a group of people if they have generalized symptoms of headaches, tiredness, and joint aches, around 95% raise their hand. All you’ve proven is that generalized questions will apply to the majority of any given audience.
Add your own answer in the comments!
Your weekly Video horoscope from Britain’s most sincere astrologer, Patrick Arundell. See more from Patrick at http://www.patrickarundell.com/ You can also f…